Fostering Open eXpression among Youth (FOXY) and Strength, Masculinities, and Sexual Health (SMASH) are excited to announce our summer Retreat applications are now closed for youth aged 13-17 years old from the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and Yukon. We have confirmed dates for two Retreats this summer:
- June 12-20, 2023 at Frontier Lodge is a FOXY & SMASH Peer Leader Retreat, meaning youth of all genders are invited to apply.
- July 24-August 1, 2023 at Nonacho Lodge is a FOXY Peer Leader Retreat, meaning young women and gender diverse youth are invited to apply.
If you have any questions about which Retreat is right for you or a youth in your life please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review all of the attached information, then submit the attached application or apply online through our Google Form application.
All expenses for participants, including travel from their home communities to Yellowknife, are covered through the generous support of the Public Health Agency of Canada, the Department of Women and Gender Equality, Government of the Northwest Territories, and our other sponsors. There is no charge to any participant in the FOXY & SMASH Peer Leader Retreats.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, MAY 26, 2023 at 5pm MDT. APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
Completed applications may be scanned and emailed to email@example.com, faxed to 1-888-518-4945, or mailed to: FOXY, 5029 57th Street, Yellowknife, NT, X1A 1Y4
SPACE IS LIMITED. APPLYING DOES NOT GUARANTEE ACCEPTANCE – WE WILL CONTACT ALL APPLICANTS WITHIN TWO WEEKS AFTER THE DEADLINE!
Applications for our 2023 Retreats are now closed. Applications for 2024 will be available in spring 2024.
- At the Retreat, you will be sharing a cabin or room in the lodge with other participants. If you have any concerns about this, or would like to make any special requests, please contact us in advance.
- At the Retreat, smoking (cigarettes, vaping, marijuana), drinking, and drugs are strictly prohibited. Please leave these items at home so they don’t jeopardize your chance to stay at the Retreat. If you think you will need support to manage not using substances at the Retreat, please let us know in advance.
- We will make all attempts to accommodate special medical, nutritional, and personal needs, however, due to the nature of our venue being out on the land, there may only be so much we can do. Please be honest about your needs (especially on your health form) and we will work with you as much as possible to make sure that you have the best time at the Retreat!
- During the days and evenings that we are spending in Yellowknife, all participants and facilitators will remain at the Retreat, as these are team-building activities that are central to the Retreat. There will be no exceptions made.
- During our time at the lodge, participants are not able to leave for any reason outside of an emergency. If a participant must be removed from the site for disciplinary reasons, the cost of the flight charter will be forwarded on to the participant’s family.
- While the emphasis will not be on strenuous activity, participants should be prepared to spend time outside and engage in some moderate physical activities. Frontier and Nonacho Lodge are internationally acclaimed fishing lodges and we experience all of these arts and activities in a beautiful outdoor environment, but our Retreats are not meant to be an outdoor adventure camp.
- FOXY strongly discourages you from bringing your phone or device to the Retreat – we don’t have cell service anyway, and the limited wireless Internet is exclusively for the use of the lodge staff. If you are concerned about your device getting lost or damaged, please leave it at home. If you choose to bring your phone it will be collected at the Retreat and put in a lock box for safekeeping for the duration of the Retreat. Any other devices such as smart watches, tablets, laptops, portable video game consoles will also be placed in the lock box. We’ll be super busy anyway doing fun things, and many participants in previous years found that they enjoyed being free from their electronic devices during the Retreat. Staff will be taking some photos that will be available for you to view after the Retreat, and you are welcome to bring your own digital camera as well if you’d like to capture your memories!