Applications are now CLOSED for the 2022 FOXY Peer Leader Retreats! Applications for the 2023 FOXY Peer Leader Retreats will open May 2023!
The FOXY Peer Leader Retreats for young women take place over the July and August every year, and all young women between the ages of 13 to 17 years who live in the Northwest Territories, Yukon and Nunavut are invited to apply!
There is no charge to anyone who participates in the FOXY Peer Leader Program. All expenses for participants, including travel from their home communities to Yellowknife are covered through the generous support of the Arctic Inspiration Prize and our other sponsors.
Participants receive 2 high school credits for their active participation in the Retreat, and 2 additional credits for their completion of a Community Project when they return to home communities!
Participants at the FOXY Peer Leader Retreat will have the opportunity to learn about sexual health and healthy relationships through photography, music, theatre, digital story telling, and traditional beading. No previous experience with the arts is necessary!
All participants will spend time during the Retreat planning a small Community Project that they will deliver when they return to their home communities with help from a mentor and FOXY. The FOXY team will provide resources to assist with the planning, and will help connect the Peer Leader with supports when they return home.
A person is considered to be fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the final dose of a Government of Canada approved COVID-19 vaccine (that is, two doses if it has been less than six months since you got your second dose, OR three doses if it has been more than six months since you got your second dose).
Proof of vaccination will be required.
Applications are now open for the 2022 FOXY Peer Leader Retreats!
- FOXY Retreat #1: July 25-August 2, 2022
- FOXY Retreat #2: August 15-23, 2022
New Peer Leaders:
If you have NOT attended a FOXY Retreat before, please download the following application form for New Peer Leaders
Returning Peer Leaders:
If you have attended a FOXY Retreat before and are interested in returning as a Peer Apprentice, please download the application form for Returning Peer Leaders
(subject to change):
- Participants arrive in Yellowknife from their home communities
- Participants and facilitators spend the night at a team sleepover at the Yellowknife Ski Club
- Participants and facilitators leave for Blachford Lake Lodge at 9am via float planes
- Participants arrive at Blachford, get settled, and eat lunch before doing an orientation and getting started on camp activities!
Day 3 – Day 7
- Participants take part in art projects, outdoor activities, sexual and mental health education, empowerment
exercises, and planning their Community Projects
- Participants spend the morning presenting their community project plans to the group
- After lunch, everyone packs and gets ready to leave
- Over supper, we give out our Camp Awards
- At 7pm, we get onto the planes and return to Yellowknife
- All participants and facilitators go to Yellowknife Ski Club for a team sleepover
- Participants all return to their home communities. We’ll miss you!
- End of Retreat-December 15
- Participants check in with the Program Coordinator until they have completed their Community Projects (Due before December 15th).
Blachford is a premier lodge, but some activities will be outside and everything will take place in a rustic environment. Please do NOT bring anything that you will be upset about if it gets damaged/lost!
This is a suggested packing list, but remember that all of our accommodations will be shared, and you’ll be responsible for keeping track of all of your belongings. Most of what you need (such as bedding, pillows, and towels) will be provided while at Blachford.
Please pack light! Make sure that your baggage is within the weight limit of your flights to Blachford/Yellowknife (around 30lbs).
IF YOU DON’T HAVE EVERYTHING ON THE LIST, DON’T WORRY! CONTACT AMANDA – YOU CAN PROBABLY BORROW SOMETHING FROM FOXY!
Even though it will be summertime, please remember that it can get chilly at night!
- T-shirts – bring your FOXY t-shirts/hoodies if you have one!
- Jeans/outdoor-appropriate pants
- Comfortable clothes for being active (Stretchy/loose clothing)
- Swim suit/trunks
- Sandals (optional)
- Water shoes (optional, if you want them for swimming)
- Runners or light hiking shoes
- Light waterproof jacket (in case it rains)
- Sunhat/ball cap
- Toothbrush & toothpaste
- Hairbrush and/or comb, hair ties (optional)
- Lip balm
- Glasses/contacts/contact solution (if needed)
- Menstrual products (if needed)
- Camera and battery charger (optional)
- Water bottle (reusable and marked with your name!)
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Eye Mask for sleeping (optional)
- A book (optional)
- Swimming towel (shower towels will be provided)
- Any medications in their original containers (these are to be given to the Retreat First Aider on the first day for safe keeping – they will be given back to you at the end!)
- Sleeping bag, pillow, and a small foamie for the sleepovers in Yellowknife (these will get stored in Yellowknife when we go out to Blachford – so pack them separately from the rest of your gear! If you are coming from a community that is very far away, please discuss this with FOXY staff as you may be able to borrow some of ours instead!
- At Blachford, you will be sharing a cabin or room in the lodge with other participants. If you have any
concerns about this, or would like to make any special requests, please contact us in advance.
- At the FOXY Peer Leader Retreat, smoking (cigarettes, vaping, marijuana), vaping, drinking, and
drugs are strictly prohibited. Please leave these items at home so they don’t jeopardize your chance
to stay at the Retreat.
- We will make all attempts to accommodate special medical, nutritional, and personal needs, however due to
the nature of our venue, there may only be so much we can do. Please be honest about your needs and we
will work with you as much as possible to make sure that you have the best time at the Retreat!
- Please be honest and thorough with your health form. It allows us to prepare for all possibilities while at the
- During the two evenings we are spending in Yellowknife, all participants and facilitators must remain at
Yellowknife Ski Club for the duration of the sleepovers as these are team-building activities that are
central to the FOXY Peer Leader Retreat. There will be no exceptions made.
- During our time at Blachford Lake Lodge, participants are not able to leave for any reason outside of an
emergency. If a participant must be removed from the site for disciplinary reasons, the cost of the
flight charter will be forwarded on to the participant’s family.
- All successful NWT participants in the FOXY Peer Leader Retreat will receive 2 Grade 10-level credits in
the NWT school system. The Peer Leader Community Projects are worth 2 Grade 11-level credits for NWT
students when they’re completed!
- FOXY strongly discourages you from bringing your phone or device to the Retreat – we don’t have cell
service anyway, and the limited wireless Internet is exclusively for the use of the Blachford Lake Lodge staff.
If you are concerned about your device getting lost or damaged, please leave it at home. If you choose to
bring your phone it will be collected at the Ski Club and put in a lock box for safekeeping for the
duration of the Retreat. We’ll be super busy anyway doing fun things, and many participants in previous
years found that they enjoyed being free from their electronic devices during the Retreat! FOXY staff will
be taking some photos that will be available for you to view after the Retreat, and you are welcome to bring
your own digital camera as well if you’d like to capture your memories!